Sunday--Been an active day at The Coop. Started off with 3 eggs from the "old girls" and about an hour latergot a jumbo egg from Maleficent. That is 4 eggs in one day. Not too shabby. The old gals do NOT like the new ones in the least. Hope they get things worked out soon. At night, I have to help the newbies get into the coop since the others will not let them near the door. Delilah iz either molting or being severely picked upon. I will watch and see what happens. I know they have to work things out among themselves, but it still makes me feel bad.
Monday--Opened the door this morning to let the girls out. Figured they might want out even though it is raining. Working at the District Office a few days this week and wanted to check and make sure everything was fine before I left. I had 3 water soaked hens, Maleficent, Delilah, and Snow Belle, in their yard. Buffy was standing guard just inside the door. I got them shoed in the door and closed it. I don't know if chickens can get sick from being too wet, but they were drenched. Poor sweeties. Well, I am at "work". I will check on them during lunch.
They can be pretty vicious towards newbies. My guess is she is being bullied.......that's where 'pecking order' came from. :-)
ReplyDelete