Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chicken Talk

It is sooo cold.  Brrrr.  OK. Chick talk.  Apparently chickens can get bored or have too much light.  One of the signs is pecking feathers on other chickens.   How did I find this out, you ask?  Annabelle has a bare spot above her tale.  Maleficent is starting to get one. Called my resident expert, Eddy, and he said probably too much light. I had been leaving it on for heat. As Eddy says, they have down coats. So, lights out!  Hoping this is the problem.  Next likely cause is overcrowding. Got 2 eggs today.  Now if I could get all 6 laying, I would have the extra eggs I wanted.  The girls were thrilled today when I bought some fresh kale and attached it to the inside of the fence.  Champ has been going out with me when I take care of the girls.  He is doing very well. I am pleased. The stray cat that has been around lately was not pleased. Well, we shall see what the weather holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment